Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The widow's offering (posted by Lacey)

Jenny,
Once again I am amazed how God has spoken to us through scripture. Last night we spoke about your week. You said at church JB talked about the widow with two coins. I had just came across the exact scripture in Mark only days before. It is amazing how God shared the same story with both of us within days of each other. After opening my bible today I was given 100% confirmation that we didn’t hear that portion of scripture by chance. I actually didn’t believe my eyes when I looked down and saw WIDOW WITH TWO COINS written at the top of the page. It was a character sketch of this women. I knew I had to share this with you.

Giving Everything

She stood in the corner of the temple, fingering her last two coins. They were worth less than a penny, but she hesitated, reflecting on the last few years of her life, her husbands death, the struggle to make ends meet. Without a family to support her, she had nowhere to turn. All she had left lay in her hand. It wasn’t much-perhaps she should hang on to it.
Then she remembered the goodness of the Lord and all that he had done for her. She could not withhold from the one who had sustained her and blessed her. No. She had to let go. Surely he would provide a way for her to survive.
As she dropped the coins into the box, a heavy weight fell from her shoulders. She was totally in the Lord’s hands now. He had invited her to trust him far beyond the comfort zone of faith. Her heart leapt. She felt free. Her struggle was over, and God was in control. She felt safer than she had ever felt in her life. She fell on her knees to worship Jehovah-Jireh, her provider, Jehovah-Shalom, her peace.
She had given her coins in secret, thinking no one saw. Unknown to her, Jesus watched and made note of her gift. “Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said,’I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.”
He alone knew how much it had cost her. EVERYTHING. She gave not just her money, but her heart, her trust, her daily bread, her future. He alone knew how much she had gained- freedom of a child of God leaning wholly on her creator. Her act was praiseworthy in his sight.

Life is unpredictable. We never know when we might come to the end of our resources-financial, emotional, mental or spiritual. We may think ourselves alone in the struggle, but the Lord is always watching. In our time of need, we can remember this dear widow who so blessed the Lord. She brought everything she had and laid it at his feet. She left with everything she needed, her hand in his.

I committed to writing a final blog when I returned to America. I have been here over a week and am just now settling back into life here. However, I don’t know that my heart will ever settle here. I believe that is how God wants it to be. God took me to Africa for a reason. I feel so blessed to be an American, we have so very much to be thankful for here. I will admit that I am struggling to make sense of this life and all of the stuff I have accumulated here. What does that mean? Where do I go from here? I don’t know, but I thank God for sending me, for transforming me, for showing me what it means to truly have Joy in the Lord, no matter what the circumstance . I went with hopes to teach others, and in return I was taught so much. My life will never be the same, and for that I am grateful.

Todd and Jenny thanks again for including me in your journey! I can't wait to hold those beautiful babies in my arms again!

4 comments:

Cloughamily said...

Lacey,

As I read your post, Proverbs 17:17 came to mind, "A friend loves at all times, and a [sister] is born for adversity."

It is evident that you and Jenny are kindred spirits. What a beautiful team you two made in Uganda and what a blessing you are to each other. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17

May God continue to nurture the sisterhood you share, for His glory.

God bless you.

Love,
Erinn

Blogging on the Yellowstone said...

Lacey,
I love your friendship also. Our God is an awesome God!!!

Jenny,
I love that we have all been able to share in this journey, and really it is just beginning! That really boggles! I am so excited to meet these 2 little cuties!

lana said...

Lacey,
Thank you for your post. I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday, but I have to share with you what happened. . .

I went to lunch with John yesterday and we started talking about Jenny and Erryn, and John said, "You'd just love to sell everything and go over there, wouldn't you?" He's hearing my heart! I tried to encourage him that I'd like to just take a two or three week trip with a mission group - the Lord's beginning to move hearts and open doors!

Thank you for your example.

Gipe Family said...

KIMMY,
If you read this blog HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope all is well in California!
Love,
Lacey
PS
Hope to see you again soon!